Monday 15 August 2022

The Journey Home

After a wonderful meal last night and a delightful sleep with a cool fan making the bedroom a tolerable temperature in the midst of this heatwave, I woke up at 5.30am and edited some of Friday's photos but didn't manage to get them all done by the time Drew awoke at 6.15am and I made a cup of tea for Drew and I.


I showered, shaved and brushed my teeth, then Drew bathed and did his ablutions. By 7.15am we were ready to go down for breakfast but restrained ourselves until the official opening time of 7.30am.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Whatley Manor provides a wide selection of items to eat.

There is a table full of delectable items, seen from various angles below:





We began with orange juice for both of us and tea, for me and coffee, for Drew along with wholemeal toast for me and white toast for Drew.

Drew choose a Yogurt with Honey and Apple

while I tested the kitchen by ordering porridge the Scottish way with just hot water and salt cooked with the oats. The hotel's menu had suggested it with milk, honey and whipped Crème fraîche, but were more than happy to make it the way I like it.


For our second course we had similar breakfast, neither of us liking baked beans, but loving everything else. I had my egg fried 'over hard' and Drew had his eggs scrambled.



The sausage was juicy, the black pudding rich, the bacon beautifully salty and the eggs cooked to perfection. A wonderful meal.

Homeward Bound

We went back up to the room after breakfast and completed our packing before leaving Whatley Manor at 8:50am for the 58-mile journey home. 


The journey was uneventful. 

Final Charge 

We arrived back in Tongwynlais and took advantage of the BP Pulse charger at the Holiday Inn at the end of the village to top the car up. It is 83.2 miles since the last charge in Trowbridge. 



Another advantage of the Holiday Inn as a charging place is that they serve Starbucks in the hotel, so we sat and ended out holiday with good coffee. 


Why charge the car before going home I hear you ask. Well, that means I can charge it to the Holiday Budget rather than the regular household budget. I know I could do that anyway, but it is the principle that counts. 

So, this is the end of the holiday. But it is worth noting, especially for our regular readers, that this isn't the last trip we will be doing this year.

An extension for this blog

Having completed the Cardiff Half Marathon last March, Drew was really tempted by the Copenhagen Half Marathon. [Co-pilot's notes: I believe dear readers, that the true reason will become apparent in about 44 words.]

As we planned to visit Scandanavia in 2020 and due to Covid we never got there, I thought it would be good to combine a visit to Denmark's capital with Drew given that, as well as being a famous city, it is also Scandinavia's foodie capital.

So, this blog will have an extended life and in Mid-September will reappear with Copenhagen as its destination - even though the blog's title will remain the same. 

We are staying at the Axel Guldsmeden hotel in the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen and have already booked four restaurants for the nine nights we are there. 

So, I hope to see many of you with us again then. Though people looking for half marathon tips might not find the blog a useful guide.

14 comments:

  1. So thoughtful of you to holiday again as I love the blog. Good luck Drew I can't imagine running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      No it seems a bit wacky to me, but he enjoyed the last one (apart from the hills). Cardiff is pretty flat but Copenhagen even flatter.

      Delete
  2. The quality of the fan suddenly becomes an imperative in UK hotels in these times. Having had 2 Premier Inn sweat boxes to contend with over the last couple of months I am thinking this becomes an important feature on Trip Advisor! Look forward to following the running and travelling from mid Sept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lloyd,

      I see you did the Blackpool Parkrun over the weekend, so are keeping your hand in too. I'm sure Drew will be grateful for any tips.

      Delete
    2. got London Marathon in Oct, bit like Tony below, LM at 50. Although it will not be my first marathon and will be nowhere near my best as have had a series of injuries and then brought a bit of covid back from the US so unlikely to be more than half marathon fit by then - will be taking the scenic route. Got another trip this weekend too, so the blog will be back for the final couple of days. Hopefully some cycling and running out in France, but at a more sensible post covid pace.

      Delete
    3. Hi Lloyd,

      Sorry to hear you've had Covid, especially with the new job starting today, hope it went well.

      I remembered you saying you were doing four trips this year, so having been to Ireland, Sardinia and Las Vegas, I knew to be ready for the next visit.

      Hope it goes well.

      Delete
  3. Ah, Beware! After I ran the London Marathon aged 50 I 'was really tempted' by New York and ended up running marathons on all seven continents over a 10 year period! Many more travel blogs perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony,

      I remember the time you did the Marathon des Sables, if Drew ever gets that ambitious I think I'll follow online from home, as I did when you did it!!

      Delete
    2. When I was still in my 30s I was gearing up for a full marathon in less than 3 hours. Things were going well and I was managing half marathons in 87 minutes or so. Then life got in the way, so that's one dream that's not going to happen.

      Delete
  4. "Why charge the car before going home I hear you ask". Yes indeed, I did ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I was able to answer in advance :-)

      Delete
  5. If Drew wants to try a lovely half and you could also stay at the Lake Vyrnwy hotel with it's beautiful views, the Lake Vyrnwy half is a delight almost flat run in a lovely fresh air environment. The start is up hill and at the end it is downhill he would love the cakes available provided by the WI when I did it. There are even cash prizes in each age group I think I remember! 😉 Another blog is always welcome!

    ReplyDelete